Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cinch or Bind-it-all

Well...I have to admit I groaned when I saw WeRMemoryKeepers came out with the Cinch. I already had the Bind-it-All...and well...I wasn't really all that happy with it.

I bind 6 12x12 Calendars every year. I do not bind all the way across the top. I cut a binding wire into 4ths and use 2 on each calendar. 6 holes twice. Sounds easy, right? Nope...the Bind it All is not all that sturdy. I had to hold the pages up, make sure they didn't topple out and hope for an even punch which was difficult. The bind it all doesn't have counter weight to the punching side.

The Cinch is heavier, can punch more holes at a time, and the paper lays flat...a win right there. I happened to have 50% off coupon at my LSS, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The Cinch is a MUCH better punching system. Easier to line up, easier to punch, and easier to load the wire. Plus I could punch more pages at a time! I was thinking the Bind-It-All was going to become garage sale fodder. Then it came time to bind...the actual squishing of the wire. Cinch works with 3/4" wires and above. It would not smoosh my 1/2" wire...bummer. So I used the Bind-it-all for that.

The Bind-it-All might still end up in a garage sale. I can't see punching with it anymore. And maybe I can find a way to shim the smooshing process on the Cinch.

If you are only working on smaller...I'd say 6" or smaller books...then the Bind-it-All would be fine. Once you start creating larger books...Cinch is the way to go!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

I have a BIA and have played with the Cinch at work. I admit that I don't generally do 12X12 sized stuff, but I love my BIA compared to the Cinch! Personal preference thing I'm sure!